They announced the six-title shortlist for the Man Booker Prize (awarded for a novel written in English and published in the UK) today, as literary-prize-season has really gotten going (culminating with the Nobel announcement in early October).
Here are some other international fiction prizes that have recently announced long/shortlists:
- Prix Goncourt (French; 1ère sélection (of four), i.e. the longer longlist; 16 titles)
- Prix Renaudot (French; longlist; 18 titles)
- German Book Prize (German; longlist; 20 titles)
- ECI Literatuurprijs (Dutch; longlist; 25 titles)
- Scotiabank Giller Prize (Canadian; longlist; 12 titles)
- Nigeria Prize for Literature (Nigerian; shortlist; 3 titles)
Of course, in the case of the foreign-language prizes the books are all in … foreign languages, so not very readily accessible to English-speaking readers. But these are important prizes, and quite a few books on these various long- and short-lists will be translated eventually, and the prizes give you an early peek at what is currently valued abroad.